This morning when I got up there was actually some blue sky! This was the first day it's not been overcast. I checked out of the hotel, had my last breakfast, and was off to meet Bill on Liverpool Street for his market walk. We were able to stop in and see 4 very different markets: Petticoat Lane Market, Spitalfield Market, Up Market, and Backyard Market. Petticoat Lane had a lot of very cheap clothes and jewelry, Spitalfield is a bit more up scale and is inside, Up Market is a mix of food from all over the world, and Backyard market was the smallest but had what looked like some nice stalls as well. All of these markets are located in the City of London I believe, or just outside it, on the east side. Bill told us that it is a very working class area, and many Jews migrated to that area specifically. The area is losing a bit of this history though as it now caters to a more Asian population and is becoming more gentrified. It also happens to be the place where Jack the Ripper committed many of his famous murders. It was a very interesting walk to a place that I probably would not have thought to go. These walks are really opening me up to London more.
All my things are moved into the flat and tonight will be my first night sleeping here. I went to the store and got groceries; not a pleasant experience because I had to carry the heavy bags pretty far. Hopefully now I can learn to cook. I think I'm mostly settled in, but I have a bit more to do. I also have to figure out where my internship is specifically, so I can be there at 10am tomorrow!
Last but not least, check out my new photos from the walks and my first few days in London!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment