Amber is here!

After having her flight from Binghampton to Detriot delayed, causing them to change her flight to the next day, and me going all the way to the airport early in the morning to get her on Saturday, only to discover she would not be coming, she finally arrived Sunday morning! Because of tube closings, it took at least a half hour longer than it should have to get to Heathrow, but I only realized at 6am yesterday, on my way to get her, that the tube is only open at 7am on Sundays, and that was when she was supposed to land. Great! I had to get to Paddington station to get the Heathrow Connect train to the airport instead. It was not a fun process, but I got there. We took the now open tube back to my flat, dropped off her stuff, and took a nice walk through the City. She saw Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, Downing Street, and we ended up at Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guard. We watched a marching band and saw the guards in their fuzzy hats, unfortunately they canceled it half way through due to rain. It was disappointing, but we found out they have it every other day in the winter at 11:30, so she can go back Tuesday. Walking back to our planned route, we came across the St. Patrick's Day parade! It was interesting, but really long. We watched it for about an hour and decided to get going. There was a child with a balloon who pushed her way to the front of the crowd to watch and kept hitting me with the stupid balloon. I really wanted to pop it, and the guys behind me were really funny, laughing and making jokes about it with us. After the parade, we decided to take the tube to the Tower of London. It was expensive, but I recommend it to anyone. They have several exhibits inside from torture to armour. It was gorgeous in there, and the history is really interesting. Henry VIII was responsible for most of the people that were killed there. Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard were killed there as was Guy Fawkes. Really interesting. It's like its own small town in there. The royalty used it as a palace for about a 500 year period, and it was eventually used as a prison and fort as well. It was a lot of fun, and we were there for about 3 hours and had to leave because it was closing. We walked to the Tower Bridge, took pictures, and took the tube back home. For dinner, we went to Prince Alfred's for music night and got fish and chips and cider. I was disappointed because my favorite person wasn't there last night to sing, but oh well. Back at the apartment, we both passed out at like 10pm! It was a great day, but I think all the traveling I've been doing and the lack of sleep caused me to get sick, because I now have a cold. Lovely. Anyway, great to have her here for the next week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment